Staff Systems Analyst (ISSO)
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: September 21, 2023
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page:Applied Research
Associates (ARA), Inc. has an immediate need for an Early to
Mid-Level IT Professional to serve as a Staff Systems Analyst
(ISSO) for the Algorithms, Modeling and Assessments (AMA) division
in Santa Barbara, CA. The qualified candidate will have 2 - 4 years
of previous related experience as a Staff Systems Analyst. The
candidate will support multiple programs and will coordinate with
the Information System Security Manager (ISSM) for these
Information Systems to ensure the Risk Management Framework (RMF)
requirements are implemented, functional, and kept up to date
according to System Security Plans, 32 CFR Part 117 of the NISPOM,
DCSA Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM), and
applicable NIST Publications. For this position, ARA will only
consider applicants with a SECRET Security Clearance or higher. The
applicant must be a United States citizen and have or qualify for a
Top-Secret Security Clearance.
- What you'll do as an Information Systems Security Officer
- In this position, the ISSO will audit, manage, and maintain
systems that adhere to government regulations.
- Ensure information systems continue to meet compliance
- Perform required periodic assessments of existing security
controls that protect information systems.
- Ensure user activity monitoring data is analyzed, stored, and
protected in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of system functions, security
policies, technical security safeguards, and operational security
- Monitor all available resources that provide warnings of system
vulnerabilities or ongoing attacks and reporting them as
- Ensure audit records are collected, recorded, and analyzed in
accordance with the System Security Plan (SSP).
- Ensure configuration management policies and procedures are
- Ensure systems are operated, maintained, and disposed of in
accordance with security policies and procedures as outlined in the
- Ensure all proper account management documentation is
- Verify all IS security-related documentation is current and
accessible to properly authorized individuals.
- Support the secure maintenance and continuous monitoring
- Report required corrective actions for all identified findings
and vulnerabilities to the ISSM.
- Support the ISSM, the System and Network Administrator with the
implementation, configuration and maintenance of security controls,
the installation of security updates, and the installation,
removal, upgrade, and replacement of software or hardware.
- Provide technical support to end users as needed.
- Perform and assist end users with file transfers per the
Assured File Transfer (AFT) procedure.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with the 32 CFR Part 117 of the
NISPOM, DAAPM, Department of Defense (DoD) regulations, and
Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs).
- Assist the ISSM with implementing, auditing physical and
technical security controls to protect the information systems and
perform the continuous monitoring requirements of information
systems in a secure government environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the ISSM.
- Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) Position
- U. S. Citizen with eligibility to obtain a DoD Top Secret
security clearance based on a Tier 5 investigation.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field with 2-4 years of relevant
experience, an Associate's Degree with 4-8 years of relevant
experience, or a High School Diploma with 8-10 years of relevant
- Intermediate knowledge of Linux/Unix, Windows Server
management, networking, a strong understanding of computer
operating systems (Windows and Linux), software and computer
- Experience in implementing, maintaining, and auditing security
controls on information systems in a secure government
- Ability to configure laptop/desktops/servers, install
applications, and troubleshoot as required.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a DoD 8570 IAT Level I
professional certification (i.e. Security+).
- Ability to lift and move computer equipment including
workstations, servers, printers, scanners, monitors, etc.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Highest degree of personal and professional integrity and
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, administrative, writing,
and verbal skills in order to communicate with all levels of staff
- Self-directed, detail-oriented, problem solver with the ability
to learn new systems and procedures quickly.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, and
adhere to a high level of confidentiality.
- Possess the ability to multitask, prioritize workload, and be
- Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) Position
- Current Top Secret or higher-level security clearance.
- Experience with the 32 CFR Part 117 of the NISPOM and the
Department of Defense Directives 5200.01, Volumes 1-4.
- Proficient in Information Assurance Security specifications
such as RMF and NIST SP 800-53.
- Experience with security assessment and hardening tools, i.e.,
STIGs, SCAP, ACAS, etc.
- Trained and proficient in Assured File Transfer (AFT)
- Knowledge of Servers, Networking, Routing, Firewalls, Switches,
RMF, and the ATO process.
- Company & Division InformationDo you want to work for a
purpose? Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an
employee-owned international research and engineering company. We
have been providing technically superior solutions to complex and
challenging problems in the physical sciences since 1979. ARA has
over 2,000 employee owners and continues to grow rapidly. Together,
our offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of
technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies,
computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental
technologies, and testing and measurement.ARA also prides itself,
on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation
are the norm. The motto, "Engineering and Science for Fun and
Profit" sums up the ARA experience. Employee ownership ensures you
have a voice with what happens in the company. The culture is
challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees
are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company's
success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership
Plan (ESOP). We are also very proud of our Women's Initiative
Network (WIN), whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage
professional career development for women to maximize career and
professional accomplishments.To find out more about what the
Integrated Mission Systems Sector has to offer, visit our website
at: https://www.ara.com/benefits/Equal Opportunity
Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe
contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate
against employees or applicants because they have inquired about,
discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another
employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part
of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other
employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have
access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in
response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
60-1.35(c)Travel Required No . Rarely, successful candidate may
need to travel for training purposes.
QualificationsEducationPreferredAssociates or better.Bachelors or
better.High School or better.ExperiencePreferred8-10 years: High
School 4-8 years: Associates 2-4 years: Bachelors Licenses &
CertificationsRequiredPreferredCert Info Sys Secur ProfComp TIA
Security+Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals
with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other
manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they
have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the
pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have
access to the compensation information of other employees or
applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot
disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals
who do not otherwise have access to compensation information,
unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or
charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding,
hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the
employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to
furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Keywords: Ara, Santa Barbara , Staff Systems Analyst (ISSO), Professions , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!