Maintenance Technician I & II
Company: Santa Barbara Zoo
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Do you take satisfaction in cleaning, and do you take pride in a
clean and welcoming environment? Do you enjoy working outdoors,
collaborating with colleagues, and interacting with guests?
Position Status: Full Time, Regular, Hourly, Non-Exempt
- Maintenance Technician I - $18.00 per hour
- Maintenance Technician II - up to $23.10 per hour, DOE
*You must also complete the Zoo's Official Employment Application
on the next page in order to be considered for the position*
Under general direction of the Director and Assistant Director of
Facilities & Horticulture, Maintenance Technician performs direct
maintenance and light construction for zoo facilities, and ensures
that the Zoo gardens and grounds meet the Zoo's presentation
standards for cleanliness and maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
- Performs all maintenance and light construction tasks according
to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in
the safest manner, following established SOGS and protocols
effectively, with minimal supervision.
- Maintains the necessary records to track maintenance and
construction projects, including time spent on job and record of
- Notices areas of concern in facilities and brings them to the
attention of management.
- Provides light construction services including general labor,
carpentry, mechanics, and flat work.
- Communicates appropriately, clearly and fully with appropriate
- Prepares for the job with appropriate tools, equipment, and
- Follows-up on all projects.
- Repairs and paints benches, tables and guardrails, and assists
in repair of roads, walkways, buildings, and mechanical
- Cleans grounds, including pathways and parking lot.
- Maintains tools and equipment
- Exemplifies the highest ethical standards to ensure quality
- Reacts in a timely manner to ensure guest, animal and staff
safety in emergency situations.
- Adheres to the Zoo's policies and procedures as outlined in the
Employee Policy Manual.
- Applies and Exemplifies "green" (sustainable) practices
- Attends monthly all-employee meetings.
- Other duties as required.
- Cross-trains within department to learn additional skills.
- Participates occasionally in cross-departmental project
- Greets every guest with a smile.
- Thanks guests for supporting/visiting the Zoo.
- Ensures the Zoo's presentation standards for cleanliness and
maintenance are met by keeping work areas clean, picking up trash,
reporting unsafe or unsightly conditions.
- Associates with guests to assist and share information.
- Responds to all guest inquiries, complaints, and comments
according to Zoo guest relations procedures.
- Maintains a clean neat appearance and adheres to the Zoo's
uniform dress code.
- Takes responsibility to stay informed about happenings at the
Zoo, such as reading employee communications and attending
- Reflects the qualities outlined in the Guest Relations
Statement, the Employee Pledge and our Core Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and
environmental characteristics described below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, ability, and working and physical elements
required of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Two years paid experience in a trade or general maintenance, or
License, Certification, or Preferred Qualifications:
- Fork lift certification
- Valid California driver's license with good driving record is
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Basic understanding of carpentry, mechanics, vehicle and
machinery maintenance, construction and repair.
- Ability to follow oral and written direction.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to verbalize understanding of a problem or situation,
and ask relevant questions for clarification.
- Competent in the use of all common hand and power tools.
- Ability to develop productive and friendly relationships at
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with
supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, and our guests.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative
working relationships with employees
- Ability to perform all essential functions using safe work
methods and habits, and following safety regulations
- Ability to prioritize tasks and follow specified
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision.
- Experienced in operating a variety of equipment (blowers,
mowers, small hand tools, etc...)
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Requires the ability to access all areas of the facility.
- Ability to negotiate the zoo work environment including
behind-the-scenes, lawns, gravel, and hilltop.
- Must be able to participate in operational practices; including
climb stairs, manipulate tools, and stand/walk for up long periods
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and
equipment including electric cart, forklift, and two-way
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds occasionally,
and 10 or fewer pounds frequently.
- Ability to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or
constantly push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- The ability to regularly stand, walk throughout the
- The ability to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support
part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without
'giving out' or fatiguing.
- The ability to bend, stretch, twist, squat, kneel or reach with
your body, arms, and/or legs for long periods of time.
- The ability to use fingers to handle and/or feel objects, tools
or controls; and talk or hear.
- The ability to quickly move the hand, hand together with arm,
or two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- The ability to occasionally reach above the head and reach
- Exposure to chemical cleaning solutions and paint.
- Involves working out-of-doors in all weather conditions.
- Supportive and open employment culture.
- Annual TB Test Clearance required.
- Hand tools
- Basic power tools
- Table saw
- Electric cart
- Two-way radio
- Fork lift
- Front Loader
- Light machinery
You must also complete the Zoo's Official Employment Application on
the next page in order to be considered for the position*--
This job description is representative of the expectations of the
position described. Additional duties, reporting relationships,
and/or position criteria may be assigned as deemed necessary by the
Chief Executive Officer or authorized representative. No changes to
this job description shall be made without written permission by
the Chief Executive Officer or authorized representative.
The Zoo reserves the right to revise this job description at any
time. The job description does not constitute a contract for
employment, and does not guarantee employment for any specified
period of time. The job description does not in any way alter the
at-will employment relationship.
Compensation: $18.00 - $23.10 per hour
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Do you love animals and working with people? Join the fun, caring,
friendly, and energetic team at the Santa Barbara Zoo in our
mission of preservation, conservation, and enhancement of the
natural world and its living treasures through education, research,
Once you apply, please make sure to check your spam folder if you
do not see an email response from the Zoo.
The Santa Barbara Zoo is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation
and is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and
Aquariums. It is known as one of the world's most beautiful zoos,
and is located on 30 acres of lush botanic gardens overlooking the
Pacific Ocean, Andree Clark Bird Refuge, and Santa Ynez Mountains.
It is home to more than 146 animal species living in open,
naturalistic habitats. Our wonderful collaborative team includes up
to 220 employees and 50 volunteers.
Keywords: Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara , Maintenance Technician I & II, Professions , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!