Company: Goodsamaritan shelter
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: November 27, 2022
*Good Samaritan Shelter *
*POSITION TITLE: Human Resources Assistant *
*EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Part-Time, Non-exempt, Permanent *
*LOCATION: Santa Maria, CA *
*COMPENSATION: $22 base per hour *
*POSITION SUMMARY*: The Human Resources (HR) Assistant helps with
the administration of the day-to-day operations of the
organization's Human Resources Department which may include
recruitment, hiring, training, employee relations, payroll updates,
compensation, and benefits, and managing communications for the
Department. This is currently a part-time position approximately
24-25 hours per with the possibility of becoming full-time in the
*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: *As part of the day's regular duties and
tasks, a human resources assistant may perform some or all the
* Assist with day-to-day operations of the HR functions and
* Provide clerical and administrative support to Human Resources
and Organization Executives.
* Compile and update employee records (paper and electronic
* Sort incoming emails and mail for the HR Department; handle
outgoing mail for HR.
* Submit online job postings, shortlist candidates, pre-screen
candidates, and schedule job interviews
* Coordinate communication with candidates and schedule
* Assemble, distribute, and track candidate offer packets and
* Coordinate orientation and training sessions for new
* Assist with initial orientation to newly hired employees; assist
with distributing new policies, procedures, and/or forms; Work with
new hires to collect necessary paperwork.
* Process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel
activities as assigned (staffing, recruitment, training,
grievances, performance evaluations, attendance, leaves, etc.)
* Coordinate HR projects (meetings, training, surveys etc.) and
take meeting minutes.
* Deal with employee requests regarding human resources issues,
rules, and regulations; Respond to employee policy inquiries;
Ensure smooth communication with employees and timely resolution to
* Assist in payroll preparation by providing relevant data
(absences, bonus, leaves, etc.)
* Work closely with the HR Director to provide support as needed on
highly confidential human resource matters and special
* Interact with benefits providers regarding enrollments and
changes in status, track employee enrollment timing, monitors
benefit billing, etc.
* Other duties as assigned
* Knowledge of current labor laws and regulations
* Knowledge of FMLA, CRFA, PDL and ADA
* May assist with accounting duties as needed.
*KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES*
* Must have strong communication skills including good listening,
speaking, and writing skills.
* Must have strong organizational skills to handle the volume of
information and documentation streaming in and out of the HR
* Ability to work well under pressure with confidence and
* Basic knowledge of human resource
* Ability to maintain professional relationships with co-workers,
employees, and vendors.
* Data collection and reporting skills.
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
* Accuracy and attention to detail.
* Ability to exercise sound judgment, work independently, and
handle multiple tasks.
* Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications
(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint,
* Proficiency in operating a variety of modern office equipment
including copiers, computers, and printers
* Minimum of an associate degree in Human Resources or in relevant
areas like personnel management and business administration. Will
consider an equivalent combination of education, training, and work
* To promote to senior-level HR positions in the future, achieving
a bachelor's with specialization in
Human Resources will add to priority consideration.
* Must have minimum 3 years' experience in human resources or in an
*Oral Communications*: Must have the ability to speak clearly and
persuasively in positive or negative situations.
Listens well and obtains clarification with others to enable
accurate communications with clients and staff.
*Problem Solving: * Must be able to identify and resolve problems
in an effective and timely manner. Has the ability to focus on
solving conflict not blaming; always keeps emotions under
*Diversity: * Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural and
individual differences Ethics: Treats all people, clients, and
staff fairly, equally and with respect.
*Judgment*: Has ability to show sound judgment in decision making
process and includes the appropriate individuals throughout the
*Safety and Security* always Follows agency protocol and policy and
procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions.
*Physical Requirements*: While performing the duties of this job,
you may need to sit up to 80% of the time; carry/transport office
supplies, equipment, and retention file boxes; move within the
office and other locations; drive a vehicle; and lift and or move
up to 25 pounds.
*Language Skills: *Ability to read and interpret documents such as
safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, employee
records and procedure manuals. Ability to write and use a computer
to create routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak
effectively to employees of the organization.
*Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: *Must have a valid
California Driver's License and provide a clean driving record.
Must provide proof of personal auto insurance coverage. Must be
able to successfully complete the agency hiring process, i.e., pass
pre-employment drug testing according to Federal Guidelines,
background check and agency provided CPR/First Aid Certification;
TB testing is required.
*Reports to: *Human Resources Director
Good Samaritan Shelter is a non-profit, community-based
organization and depends on every staff member doing what needs to
be done to serve the community and clients. On occasion, you may be
asked to perform job duties outside of your normal assignments on
an as-needed basis.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $22.00 per hour
* 401(k) matching
* Employee assistance program
* Paid time off
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
* Human resources: 1 year (Required)
* Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Goodsamaritan shelter, Santa Barbara , HR Assistant, Other , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!