Company: City of Carpinteria
Posted on: June 8, 2021
The City of Carpinteria is currently accepting applications to
fill a Civil Engineer position.
Under general supervision of the Public Works Director/City
Engineer, applies civil engineering knowledge (construction,
environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, and water
resources) to plan, design, and/or review capital improvement and
land development projects. Responsible for preparing engineering
plans, reports, studies, specifications, calculations, and cost
estimates including researching and analyzing data. Conducts or
calls for the testing of materials and reporting on properties and
results. Performs construction project management, inspections,
and/or engineering surveying on capital improvement and land
development projects. Coordinates engineering activities with other
City departments and outside agencies. Establishes and maintains
effective communication, coordination, and working relationships
with City staff and the general public.
In the absence of or as authorized by the Public Works
Director/City Engineer, may serve as Deputy Public Works Director
and/or Deputy City Engineer as well as Deputy City Traffic
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Performs civil engineering work including the planning,
designing, and/or reviewing of capital improvement and land
- Performs construction project management, inspections, and
engineering surveying on capital improvement and land development
- Supervises paraprofessional staff. Manages consultants and
contractors including the contract administration thereof.
- Prepares engineering plans, reports, studies, specifications,
calculations, and cost estimates including researching and
analyzing data. Performs project management in the preparation
- May represent the department at community or stakeholder
meetings and workshops, inter-governmental agency meetings, utility
coordination meetings, and City boards, committees, and Council
- Reviews conditional use permits, coastal development permits,
engineering permits, and special event permits. Prepares permit
conditions of approval.
- Assists the Public Works Director/City Engineer in developing
department budget and work plans.
- Researches and analyzes data used in the planning and designing
of an engineering project.
- Performs field investigations. Coordinates with utility
companies and regulatory agencies.
- Conducts or calls for testing of materials and reporting on
properties and results.
- Analyzes data including, but not limited to, traffic counts
(vehicular, pedestrian, and bicycle), material tests
(soils/aggregate, concrete, asphalt concrete, steel, timber,
masonry, piping, and manufactured products), hydraulic and
hydrologic modeling, and environmental tests.
- Researches case studies and records relevant data. Researches
applicable codes; standards; and federal, state, and local
Utilizes and calibrates engineering computation and measuring
instruments and tools including, but not limited to, calculator,
land survey transit and level, and tape measure.
- Applies collected data in all stages of an engineering
- Determines cost and technical feasibility based on collected
data. Makes accurate estimates.
- Determines quantities, capacities, and dimensions of
- Prepares or directs the preparation of engineering reports
detailing data and results of tests conducted.
Manages engineering activities including ensuring conformance
with applicable plans; specifications; codes; standards; and
federal, state, and local regulations.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication,
coordination, and working relationships with City staff and the
- Keeps the Public Works Director/City Engineer informed of
status of projects or tasks and of progress attained in reaching
- Provides customer service. Answers questions and concerns in a
timely and professional manner.
- Ensures engineering activities meet the department and the
City's mission and objectives.
Coordinates engineering activities with other departments and
- Responsible for related duties as required or assigned.
- Ensures personal work area is clean, secure, and
- Keeps current on new civil engineering developments, methods,
- Completes projects and tasks as assigned.
- Participates in civil engineering-related professional
associations as required.
Education/Certification: Bachelor degree in civil engineering or
related field. Must be a Registered Civil Engineer in the State of
California at time of appointment.
- Municipal government operations, rules, and regulations.
- Public works department or agency processes and
- Civil engineering principles, practices, and methods.
- Construction safety including personal protective
- Personal computer hardware and business and engineering
- Office equipment.
- Minimum four years of progressive, professional experience in
civil engineering. Minimum one year of supervisory experience.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exercise independent judgment.
- Well organized.
- Customer service-oriented.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Public speaking skills.
- Hand drafting and computer-aided drafting skills.
Incorporated in 1965, the City of Carpinteria (pop 14,000+) is
an inviting seaside community with an abundance of natural beauty
and small-town charm. Located in Santa Barbara County adjacent to
Highway 101, the City is located 12 miles south of Santa Barbara,
CA, 12 miles north of Ventura, CA and 80 miles north of Los
Situated between the mountains and the coast, residents and
visitors enjoy over 275 days of sunshine a year and average daytime
temperature between 68-80 degrees. Carpinteria is an outdoor
enthusiast's playground. Rincon Point is recognized as one of the
finest surfing spots in the world. Beautiful beaches, a community
swimming pool and picturesque parks and trails provide activities
for every interest.
SPECIAL NOTE: This is a 5-year funded position. .
APPLICATION EVALUATION - qualifying: All applications will be
reviewed to determine whether or not the stated requirements are
met. Those individuals meeting the stated requirements will be
invited to continue to the next step in the examination
CLOSING DATE: This is a continuous recruitment and may close at
any time; therefore, the schedule for the remainder of the process
will depend upon when a sufficient number of qualified applications
are received to meet business needs. Prompt application submission
FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: March 5, 2021. Interviews will be
tentatively scheduled the week of March 15, 2021.
Subsequent application review may be conducted to establish a
viable pool of candidates. Reviews will be on a weekly basis
Employment Information: Right to Work: Before employment,
candidates must submit documentation verifying their legal right to
work in the United States. Background Check: A pre-employment
verification of background, references, and medical examination
will be conducted. A drug screening may be required for some
positions. Applicants for positions using a City vehicle may be
required to submit a DMV report.
The Civil Engineer position salary is $78,997.09 - $108,730.39
annually, depending on experience, plus a robust benefits package
- CalPERS Retirement: 2% @ 55 for Classic CalPERS participants
(employee cost share is 8%) and 2% @ 62 for PEPRA CalPERS
participants (employee cost share is 6.5%). The City does not
participate in Social Security.
- Health Insurance: City provides the majority of health
insurance annual premium under the CalPERS for eligible employees
(and eligible dependents) or retiree.
- Dental Insurance: City provides a dental plan with Guardian
Insurance with 100% of the premium paid by the City for employees
and their eligible dependents.
- Cafeteria Allowance: An allowance of $1,258 per calendar year
is provided by the City. Employees can use the allowance for
medical, vision, Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance, and other
- Leave Accrual: Annual leave is accrued based on years of
service. In place of separate leave accrual for vacation, sick
leave, floating holidays, and administrative leave, each employee
is granted an all-inclusive comprehensive leave bank that includes
all leave benefits. Employees have the option to cash out up to 80
hours of unused leave annually.
- Holidays: City observes 12 paid legal holidays each year.
- Flexible Schedule: City employees have the option of flexible
scheduling which allows them to work a 9/80 schedule with a
designated Monday or Friday off in each two-week work period
subject to the needs of the department as determined by the City
- Deferred Compensation Program: available
- Life Insurance: The City maintains a Group Life and Accidental
Death and Dismemberment insurance policy for Management employees
with 100% of the premium paid by the City.
- Short and Long-term Disability Insurance: City provides Group
Short and Long-term disability insurance plan for eligible
- Special Pay: Employees classified as Management are eligible
for a special pay benefit that provides for reimbursement of an
amount equal to the payroll deduction of employee-paid
contributions to SDI and the amount equal to the employee
contribution of 1.45% of gross wages for coverage under the
Medicare portion only of the federally administered Social Security
- Additional Benefits Include: Employee Assistance Program,
Fitness benefit allowance, voluntary vision insurance, accident,
cancer, and critical illness voluntary coverage through AFLAC and
Transamerica, plus other benefits.
Keywords: City of Carpinteria, Santa Barbara , Civil Engineer, Other , Carpinteria, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!