Salary: $23.30 - $32.03/hour
First review of applications: June 11, 2021
This recruitment will remain open until filled and may close
without prior notice.
Prompt application submission is encouraged.
Under the direct supervision of the Public Works Director/City
Engineer, performs a variety of tasks and duties pertaining to the
programs and projects both office and field technical
paraprofessional work in the Public Works Department.
Emphasis in environmental engineering, environmental science, or
related education and training is desired, but is not a criterion
of the qualifications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Performs technical work in the application of civil engineering
knowledge to plan, design, and/or review capital improvement and
land development projects.
- Performs construction project management, inspections, and
engineering surveying on capital improvement and land development
- Prepares engineering plans, reports, studies, specifications,
calculations, and cost estimates including researching and
analyzing data. Performs project management in the preparation
- May assist in representing the department at community or
stakeholder meetings and workshops, inter-governmental agency
meetings, utility coordination meetings, and City boards,
committees, and Council meetings.
- Reviews conditional use permits, coastal development permits,
engineering permits, and special event permits. Prepares permit
conditions of approval.
- Researches and analyzes data used in the planning and designing
of an engineering project.
- Applies collected data in all stages of an engineering
- Establishes and maintains effective communication,
coordination, and working relationships with City staff and the
- Responsible for related duties as required or assigned.
- Associate degree in engineering or related field.
- An Engineer-In-Training Certificate as issued by the State of
California or another state or territory of the United States may
be substituted for the degree requirement.
- A certificate in any of the civil engineering technology
certification programs as issued by the National Institute for
Certification in Engineering Technologies may also be substituted
for the degree requirement.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid California driver's
- Must have a good driving record.
- Municipal government operations, rules, and regulations.
- Public works department or agency processes and
- Civil engineering principles, practices, and methods.
- Construction safety including personal protective
- Personal computer hardware and business and engineering
- Office equipment.
- One to three years of progressive experience in civil
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exercise independent judgment
- Well organized
- Customer service-oriented
- Written and verbal communications skills
- Hand drafting and computer-aided drafting skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range is $23.30 - $29.12/hour. Salary is supplemented
by an attractive benefits package which includes, but is not
limited to: CalPERS retirement, health, dental, life, and vision
plans (for employee and eligible dependents), short- and long- term
disability, 457 deferred compensation, annual leave bank, Employee
Assistance Program, fitness allowance, and annual cafeteria
allowance of $1,258.00.
The first review of applications: June 11, 2021. However, this
is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time; the schedule
of the remainder of the process will depend upon when a sufficient
number of qualified applications are received. The recruitment will
remain open until filled and may close without prior notice. Prompt
application submission is encouraged.
All applications will be reviewed to determine whether or not
the stated requirements are met. Those individuals meeting the
stated requirements and who best meet the needs of the department
will be invited to continue to the next step in the examination
Incorporated in 1965, the City of Carpinteria (pop 14,000+) is
an inviting seaside community with an abundance of natural beauty
and small town charm. Located in Santa Barbara County adjacent to
Highway 101, the City is located 12 miles south of Santa Barbara,
CA, 12 miles north of Ventura, CA and 80 miles north of Los
Situated between the mountains and the coast, residents and
visitors enjoy over 275 days of sunshine a year and average daytime
temperature between 68-80 degrees. Carpinteria is an outdoor
enthusiast's playground. Rincon Point is recognized as one of the
finest surfing spots in the world. Beautiful beaches, a community
swimming pool and picturesque parks and trails provide activities
for every interest.