The Biomaterials R&D Manager leads a team of
scientists/chemists & technicians in the creation of
customer-focused silicone-based biomaterial solutions. The
Biomaterials R&D Manager is the key point of contact regarding
requests for new product developments; organizing, prioritizing and
effectively deploying coworkers engaged in new product development
activities within the Biomaterials NPD group. The Biomaterials
R&D Manager is expected to draw upon a deep understanding of
polymeric materials chemistry, properties & formulation to provide
the team with sound technical guidance while integrating effective
and efficient project execution practices into daily new product
development activities, accommodating both the tactical demands of
the business and higher-level strategic initiatives of
The Biomaterials R&D Manager is responsible for managing and
coordinating new silicone-based chemistry, materials, and
technology developments to create new products for existing and
potential Biomaterials customers. He/she, in concert with their
team, will proficiently plan, manage and guide the execution of
experimental studies to generate data and drive the development of
new products from concept through commercialization. He/she will
direct technical personnel and ensure new product development
resources are allocated effectively to deliver on critical project
objectives. This position is expected work collaboratively to
identify technical/scientific opportunities and initiate/guide the
necessary activities to translate insights into specific
market-oriented innovation projects. He/she partners closely with
department peers (e.g., Applications & NPD Managers) and engages
cross-functionally (e.g., Commercial Account & Engineering
Managers) to drive projects, as well as supporting technical
interactions with customers to close sales for new products and
gain acceptance of new technologies.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of
- Lead team in the research and development of silicone-based
- Initiate and manage product development projects in
collaboration with marketing, applications and customers leading to
evaluation and use of Avantor / NuSil products.
- Develop innovative solutions to product development
- Provide direction and guidance to scientists and other
technical personnel, including managing and directing of day to day
activities and performance.
- Make clear and effective requests of team members to take
ownership of projects- create, update and utilize tools to drive
collaboration, inspire team members, rapid execution and workflow
- Accept / evaluate project requests from internal and external
- Assess priority of multiple competing requests
- Monitor and report on project execution
- Provide input into performance planning and assessment. Report
on progress, success, and failure of projects. Allocate resources
to achieve project deadlines. Provide guidance along with
functional leaders to solve technical problems.
- Implement systems that maximize effective coordination and
execution of projects.
- Understand and capture key deliverables and timing
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and
customers to ensure timely and effective coordination of
- Oversee the correct formulation development and optimization of
- Critically analyze patents and literature and support
implementation of new product and technologies, and generate new
product idea, workflow improvement
- Prepare pre-commercial Batch Records and working with the
Manufacturing team to oversee pre-commercial manufacturing
- Coordinate with the Purchasing department personnel for raw
materials sourcing, and be able to identify issues
- Coordinate with Analytical and QC personnel for setting up test
methods and specifications.
- Develop and optimize robust manufacturing processes for new
- Collect voice-of-customers and translate into product
requirements, participate in industry organizations and work with
product development teams to identify market driven product
requirements, generate insight, develop novel product opportunities
and provide feedback on product performance
- Prepare and deliver presentations and technical literature to
various stakeholders including customers.
- Maintain close relationship with customers and to keep abreast
of emerging market trend and opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned with or without
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and
- PhD or Master's degree in chemistry, chemical engineering,
materials science, polymer engineering or other relevant area.
Minimum 5 years of experience in research-oriented activities in
materials chemistry & development with demonstrated ability to
conduct and mange projects to achieve desired results.
- At least 2 years of technical project planning, management and
execution experience demonstrating team leadership.
- Industrial experience in chemistry and materials
development/characterization is preferred with demonstrated ability
to identify issues and implement effective solutions.
- Experience and understanding of silicone materials synthesis,
characterization, and production is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Basic understanding of silicone product technology.
- Ability to frame up, prioritize and deploy resources to execute
projects according to value, cost and risk with limited
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work and
communicate effectively with all levels of employees to plan,
organize and complete multiple projects from inception to
- Excellent project management skills with understanding of
financial impacts of plans, decisions and actions
- Ability to conceptualize technical solutions to scientific
- High level of influencing and persuading skills and high level
of collaborative behavior
- Ability to communicate clearly the intended message in formal
and informal settings to both a technical and business
- Ability to build relationships with other team members and gain
commitment toward stated goals- facilitate collaboration.
- Flexibility to respond to changing priorities and shifting
deadlines in a fast paced working environment
- Ability to find innovative and creative solutions to customer
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under
- Typically works in a laboratory environment with adequate
lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and
- Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent
are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be
developed to resolve problems.
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on
- The work environment is an office, chemical laboratory and
- The duties of the job will require traveling up to 20% of the
time, domestically and internationally
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated
with a job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do
not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity,
sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin,
physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
employment process, please contact us by email at
TalentManagement@avantorsciences.com and let us know the nature of
your request and your contact information. Requests for
accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please
note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable
accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity
protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE
LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency
Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
EEO is the Law
OFCCP EEO Supplement
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
3rd party non-solicitation policy
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned
on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by
failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit
any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms
and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and
will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based
on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation