Company: Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics
Posted on: May 31, 2021
Under the supervision of the Clinic Manager, the Medical
Assistant supports the licensed medical staff in a clinic setting
by performing medical back office duties such as performing vitals,
obtaining chief complaint, etc. while maintaining high customer
service standards. This position is an integral part of the
patient-centered medical home care team and works collaboratively
with others to support optimal patient outcomes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- As part of the care team the Medical Assistant coordinates
patient care and flow.
- Escorts patient to exam room, obtains brief history and vital
signs and enters data into Electronic Health Record system (EHR).
Updates records in EHR for providers review.
- Assists providers with procedures including preparing patients
for exam, as appropriate.
- Performs requested patient specific tasks for providers after
the patient has been seen.
- Works with diabetic patients and patients with other chronic
conditions to improve self-management skills.
- Provides education to patients on diabetes, asthma and other
chronic conditions, as directed by provider.
- Verifies that all standing orders are completed.
- Completes all appropriate consent forms, and provides patient
education/patient plans and referral materials as appropriate, to
all patients during clinic visits.
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms before clinic, after each patient
and at the end of each clinic session.
- Assists the Patient Access Navigator staff with check in and
check out duties, answering incoming calls by third ring and with
appointment scheduling following SBNCs provider preferences.
- Supports the Call Center staff in appropriately scheduling same
day appointments taking into consideration clinic flow and patient
urgency for access to care.
- Assists with reviewing the next weeks schedule to ensure
necessary supplies are in stock for procedures.
- Ensures that e-prescribing tasks and all assigned tasks in EHR
are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reviews EHR tasks at end of visit, assisting providers with any
pending tasks in EHR.
- Maintains EHR records accurately following SBNC policies and
- Assists in laboratory staff as necessary.
- Enrolls patients in Patient Assistance Programs when they are
self-pay or their insurance does not cover specific
- Assists in obtaining prior authorizations for medications and
durable medical supplies for patients with Medi-Cal, Medicare and
- Receives and completes medical records requests according to
the SBNC Policies and Procedures.
- Scans medical reports from outside providers into EHR for
review and approval of SBNC referring provider.
- Keeps work area clean and orderly.
- Checks email upon arrival every morning and throughout the day
to keep himself/herself informed of day to day functions and
important communications with administration and clinic staff.
- May need to cover at other sites if needed.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Demonstrates understanding of and observes all SBNC policies,
procedures, rules and regulations.
- Demonstrates successful work-related behaviors.
- Attends all required SBNC meetings and trainings.
- Interacts with patients, physicians, staff, vendors, and
visitors in a positive manner that reflects the SBNC mission and
- The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to
this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and requirements. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or it is a logical
assignment to the position. The employee is expected to perform
other duties necessary for the effective operation of the
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Prior experience in a medical care setting, or
equivalent combination of education and experience is
Knowledge of: Use of standard software such as Windows, Word and
Ability to: Learn medical terminology and medical assisting
practices and procedures in a fast-paced environment; speak fluent
Spanish as well as English; follow verbal and written instructions;
communicate effectively interact diplomatically with staff and
patients; work with a diverse group of patients in a non-judgmental
manner; learn quickly in a fast-paced environment; use basic office
equipment including computer, copy machine, fax machine, and
Preferred qualifications: Minimum keyboard speed of 45 WPM.
Physical Demands: May be required to lift objects weighing up to
20 pounds. Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods
of time. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather
than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
Communication skills using the spoken word. Ability to see within
normal parameters. Ability to hear within normal range. Ability to
Certification/ License: Valid Medical Assistant Certificate from
an accredited medical assistant program preferred. Successful
completion of SBNCs staff skills checklist within three months of
the date of hire.
Keywords: Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics, Santa Barbara , Medical Assistant, Other , Goleta, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!