Zoo Camp Educator
Company: Santa Barbara Zoo
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Are you.... Looking for a fun-filled Summer job?
Join us for 10-weeks of fun and education, as you promote the
Zoo and its mission through our award-winning Zoo Camp
The Zoo Camp Educator collaborates with fellow staff to bring
the best Environmental and Animal Science curriculum to all of our
participants (ages 3-12 yo). You will form lifelong memories for
program participants, running a variety of camps focusing on the
environment, ecology, and conservation in a fun, creative, and
- Prior teaching experience in outdoor or informal learning
settings teaching natural, chemical, or physical science. BA in
Education, Environmental Studies, Life Sciences, Zoology, or
Biology preferred, but not required.
- The ideal candidate is self-motivated, outgoing, has excellent
communication and interpersonal skills, and knows how to engage
children in positive interactions and conversations. Must have
active listening skills, sound judgment, and reliable
decision-making skills. Supervision skills are necessary.
- Must be available for overnights and able to walk and work
outdoors for most of the shift.
- Satisfactory completion of a DOJ criminal background check is
required after contingent offer is presented, as well as TB
- First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
Schedule: 10 weeks of summer camp: May 25 through August 20,
2019, 40 hours/work week between the hours of 7:45 AM and 5:00
Under general direction of the Education Manager and Education
Team, Zoo Camp Educator promotes the Zoo and its mission through
implementing tour Zoo Camps.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
- Supervises groups of up to 15 children while delivering camp
curriculum in an engaging, age-appropriate manner, working with a
particular age group within the 3-13 age range.
- Leads environmental and animal science activities, such as
hands-on learning activities, games, crafts, stories, and
- Supervises and ensures the safety and well-being of assigned
- Other duties as assigned to maintain efficient and quality zoo
- Greets every guest with a smile.
- Thanks guests for supporting and visiting the Zoo.
- Answers phone calls, voice mails and e-mails promptly.
- Insures the Zoos presentation standards for cleanliness and
maintenance are met by keeping work areas clean, picking up trash,
and reporting unsafe or unsightly conditions.
- Associates with guests to assist and share information.
- Maintains a clean neat appearance and adheres to the Zoos
uniform dress code.
- Takes responsibility to stay informed about happenings at the
Zoo, such as reading employee communications and attending
- Reflects the qualities outlined in the Guest Relations
Statement and the Employee Pledge.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and
environmental characteristics described below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, ability, and working and physical elements
required of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of college coursework in life sciences,
zoology, education or environmental sciences or equivalent
- Minimum of 6 months experience in informal presentations.
License, Certification, or Preferred
- Prefer experience in an environmental education setting.
- Successful completion of a Department of Justice background
- First Aid and CPR certification required.
- TB tests and Tetanus vaccinations as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of biology and zoology preferred.
- Ability to organize, plan, collaborate and implement
- Skilled in improvisation.
- Energetic and engaging personality.
- Ability to present educational programs to diverse audiences
and large groups of people.
- Ability to envision and implement innovative solutions and
- Ability to contribute to the creative process.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of computer software including word processing and
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with
supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, and our guests.
- Ability to exercise safe work habits.
- Awareness of, sensitivity to, and empathy with animals.
Physical Demands; Work Environment:
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds occasionally and 10 or fewer
- Ability to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or
constantly push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to run, kneel, sit on the ground/floor, squat, and
stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to negotiate the zoo work environment including
behind-the- scenes, lawns, gravel, hilltop, and attic storage.
- Involves walking out-of- doors in all weather conditions.
- Supportive and open employment culture.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and
equipment including, electric carts, telephones, printers, two-way
radios, projectors, and copiers.
- Ability to work outdoors most of the day.
- Two-way radios
- Electric cart
- Personal computer and software (Work, Excel, and Outlook)
- Telephone system
- Bio Facts and various learning-based materials
This job description is representative of the expectations of
the position described. Additional duties, reporting relationships,
and/or position criteria may be assigned as deemed necessary by the
Chief Executive Officer or authorized representative. No changes to
this job description shall be made without written permission by
the Chief Executive Officer or authorized representative.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
Keywords: Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara , Zoo Camp Educator, Other , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!