Student Leadership Programs Advisor
Company: University of California
Location: santa barbara
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Residential & Community Living team at the University of
California, Santa Barbara, supports the well-being and quality of
life for 11,500 students living in the campus' apartments and
residence halls. This position will play an integral role with the
advising and leadership development of UCSB students, to include
establishing student government and programming bodies for: the
all-campus governments (Residence Halls Association, National
Residence Hall Honorary, Student Apartment Community Council,
Graduate Student Apartment Community Council); the individual
buildings (Hall Councils); and individual floors within each
Serving as the Student Leadership Program Advisor, and working
under the direction of the Manager of Student Leadership Programs,
the position performs a variety of advising functions for
Residential & Community Living, which consists of 8 residence halls
and 9 apartment communities, housing approximately 11,500 students,
including 13 Resident Director/Complex Coordinators, 16 Assistant
Resident Directors/Assistant Complex Coordinators and 140 Resident
This position provides an exceptional opportunity to develop
skills in student advising, gain exposure to the field of student
leadership and development, participate and contribute to a variety
of student programs, and receive mentoring in career development
and potential career paths.
This is a twelve-month per year contract position from July 1, 2021
- June 30, 2022, with the possibility of reappointment for a
maximum of two additional terms. Must be available to work evenings
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and
- Prior experience advising/supervising college student
- Experience in Residential Life or Student Affairs.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated proficiency on
- Experience conducting Training and Workshops related to Student
- Experience creating and working on large scale programs and
- Experience with budgets/finance.
- Experience working with a diverse student population.
- Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration,
Organization Management, College Student Personnel, Education,
Public Administration or related field.
- Experience working with student organizations.
- Experience working with housing and residential program
Special Conditions of Employment
- UCSB Campus Security Authority under Clery Act
- Satisfactory criminal history background check.
- UCSB is a Tobacco-Free environment.
The University is closely monitoring the rapidly changing
developments regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.As this public health
emergency has caused a significant amount of disruption and
uncertainty within the University community, please be advised that
an offer of employment for this position may require that the
University have flexibility regarding the start date.
For more information regarding how UC Santa Barbara is
responding to COVID-19 and other related news, please
visit:https://www.ucsb.edu/COVID-19-information. If you experience
symptoms of COVID-19 or may be sick, please contact your
For full consideration, please include a resume and a cover
letter as part of your application.
Job Functions/Percentage of Time/Duties
Advising / 40% Daily
- Serve as staff co-advisor to the Residence Hall Association
(RHA) an organization of 40 student leaders and annual budget of
$120,000 in the areas of: University Policy Compliance Liability &
Risk Management Appropriate budget and financial practices Event
planning and program development Travel Policies & Guidelines
- Serve as staff co-advisor to the National Residence Hall
- Responsible for advising students in the following areas: RHA
executive board members that may include President, Finance VP,
Programming VP, Admin VP, National Communications Coordinator,
National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) Co-Presidents. RHA
specialty positions that may include Web Manager, Equipment
Supervisor, Media Coordinator, Head Multicultural Awareness Chair,
Project CARE Director. RHA Representatives at Large. Associated
Students On-Campus Senators. Hall Council Presidents on topics of
hall council organization development and student leadership.
- Attend weekly RHA Coordinating Board, NRHH General Meeting, and
Executive Board Meetings.
- Assist in coordinating and advising major student initiatives
that may include: Week of Welcome programming (~50 events)
Outstanding Faculty & Staff Awards Banquet Safer Sex Peers
Educators (~175 students) Annual RHA Awards Scholarship RHA Rezzie
Rider Program (shuttle service program) Welcome & Final Kits
program and other fundraisers (~$25,000)
- Serve as Advisor to major RHA committees that include meeting
with committee chairs and periodic attendance of the committees
Judicial Review Board Project CARE Appeals Board RHA Elections
Committee Constitution & By-Laws Committee
- Serve as delegation advisor to 1-3 regional and national
collegiate conferences for student leaders that include, the
Pacific Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls
(PACURH) and the National Association of College and University
Residence Halls (NACURH), and PACURH No Frills conferences.
Residential Leadership Program / 25% Daily
- Assist the Manager of Student Leadership Programs in developing
student leadership trainings that include: RHA Executive Board
Summer Training Four-week Student Leadership Development for RHA
RHA and NRHH Fall & Winter Retreats Hall Council Advisor Training
Hall Council Leadership Forum
- Provide support and expectations to the Hall Council Advisors
(the Assistant Resident Directors) in the areas of: Hall Council
elections, meetings, retreats, advising, programming, and
- Provide advising support to the Graduate Student Apartment
Council and the Student Apartment Council and their respective
- Assist the Manager of Student Leadership Programs in the
creation and development of new residential leadership programs in
the areas of: Self-authorship Social Justice & Diversity Leadership
skills & competencies
- Develop partnership between the Office of Student Life and the
Division of Student Affairs in the area of student leadership
Organizational Involvement / 20% Daily
- Assist the Manager of Student Leadership Programs in developing
and leading professional development workshops for the Assistant
Resident Directors and Assistant Complex Coordinators
- Serve on various Residential & Community Living Committees that
may include: Student Leadership Development Training Committee (RA
& RHA Summer Training) Multicultural Awareness Chair (MAC)
Committee Social Justice and Diversity Committee First Year
Residential Experience (FYRE) Second Year Residential Experience
- Serve as a conduct hearing officer and restorative justice
facilitator as needed
- Serve on HDAE Committees as assigned.
Administrative Support / 15% Daily
- Assist in the creation of the RHA manuals and resource
- Assist in the creation and development of organization and
position specific transition reports
- Collect contact information of student leaders in the hall
- Conduct assessment and evaluation of student initiatives
- Assist with the time reporting functions and other related
supervision duties for the student interns during various summer
projects for RHA, NRHH, and SLD
- Coordinate travel in accordance with university policy to
various student leadership conferences
- Purchase supplies and monitor budgets accordingly.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: University of California, Santa Barbara , Student Leadership Programs Advisor, Other , santa barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!