Company: Santa Barbara Zoo
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Support our mission by ensuring our events guests have a
If you enjoy interacting with people, setting up for
events, and ensuring events go smoothly: this is a job for
EVENTS HOST JOB DESCRIPTION
Under general direction of the Director of Business Operations
and the Events Manager: the Events Host is responsible for making
sure that events held at the Zoo are a wonderful, enjoyable, and
safe experience for all concerned, in order to accomplish our goals
of providing a superior visitor experience while successfully
coordinating all supporting services. Events may include and are
not limited to: corporate events, weddings, birthdays, special
events, hosted meetings and zoo events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
- Arrives on time for scheduled shift, professionally dressed and
ready to begin work.
- Maintains a professional appearance and composure at all times,
as a representative of the Zoo.
- Prepares electric cart(s) for service, and operates cart
according to Zoo policies and safety standards.
- Inspects and prepares Hilltop area, restrooms, and other event
sites upon arrival. Helps with event set up as needed.
- Escorts all deliveries and service providers from entrance gate
to the event site, and out to the parking lot when they are
- Sets up for guests arrival and tickets collection at front
gate, and performs a ticket count once guests have arrived.
- Answer questions and direct guests as needed.
- Collaborates with Zoo Catering Services (ZCS) and other service
providers on a frequent basis to ensure their needs are being met,
and that Zoo policies and protocols are being adhered to.
- Spot checks cleanliness of restrooms. and cleans up as
- Ensures proper and timely cleanup of all areas used by the
client and service providers.
- Manages the flow of traffic to and from the Hilltop area in
conjunction with the other Event Host(s) on duty and the front gate
staff, as necessary.
- Inspects property at end of event for damage, lost items, and
other discrepancies. Reports any discrepancies to the Events
Coordinator and Event Supervisor .
- Fills out a Host Report at the end of each event that details
the event, and any problems that arose during the event.
- Submits an event report to the Events Coordinator or Events
Supervisor at end of every evening event.
- Maintains order and ensures adherence to safety
- Handles emergency situations in a professional manner and
according to Zoo policy and protocols.
- Occasional collateral office duties (such as stuffing
envelopes), as required.
- Adheres to the Zoos policies and procedures as outlined in the
Employee Policy Manual.
- Ensures that Zoo rules, policies, and protocols are being
adhered to by all concerned.
- Applies and Exemplifies green (sustainable) practices whenever
- Attends all events specific safety and operation training.
Orientation Training List Attached
- Zoo Special Events, including, but not limited to, Roar & Pour,
Zoo Brew and Boo at the Zoo. The specific duties related to these
events will vary based on event size and requirements.
- Greets every guest with a smile.
- Thanks guests for supporting/visiting the Zoo.
- Insures the Zoos presentation standards for cleanliness and
maintenance are met by keeping work areas clean, picking up trash,
and reporting unsafe or unsightly conditions.
- Associates with guests to share information, identify their
needs, and make their experience a more personal one, providing a
high level of customer service and satisfaction.
- Responds to all guest inquiries, complaints, and comments
according to Zoo guest relations procedures.
- Maintains a clean, neat appearance and adheres to the Zoos
uniform dress code.
- Takes responsibility to stay informed about happenings at the
Zoo, such as reading employee communications and attending Zoo
- Reflects the qualities outlined in the Guest Relations
Statement and the Employee Pledge.
- Other miscellaneous duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and
environmental characteristics described below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, ability, and working and physical elements
required of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and Experience:
- Customer service experience preferred
- At least 18 years of age
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with
supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, and our guests.
- Ability to maintain a diligent, friendly, and professional
- Attention to details.
- Team oriented.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Ability to effectively problem solve.
- Ability to follow oral and written direction.
- Ability to exercise safe work habits.
- Ability to simultaneously assist and interact with guests,
while overseeing event.
- Must be enthusiastic, outgoing and personable.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Requires the ability to access all areas of the facility.
- Must be able to climb stairs and stand / walk for up to two
- Involves walking out-of-doors in all weather conditions
(climate in Santa Barbara is mild).
- Supportive and open employment culture.
- Regularly lifts and carries objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Occasionally lifts and carries objects weighing up to 50
- Hand tools
- Electric cart
- Two-way radio
- Office Equipment
This job description is representative of the expectations of
the position described. Additional duties, reporting relationships,
and/or position criteria may be assigned as deemed necessary by the
Chief Executive Officer or authorized representative. No changes to
this job description shall be made without written permission by
the Chief Executive Officer or authorized representative.
The Zoo reserves the right to revise this job description at any
time. The job description does not constitute a contract for
employment, and does not guarantee employment for any specified
period of time. The job description does not in any way alter the
at-will employment relationship
Keywords: Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara , Event Host, Other , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!