Patient Access Navigator
Company: Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Under the supervision of the Clinic Manager, the Patient Access
Navigator supports patient-centered care by collecting important
data, reviewing patients insurance status and providing first line
customer service to ensure patients have appropriate access to
medical, dental and behavioral health care. The Patient Access
Navigator is also responsible for collecting and posting payments,
scrubbing and completing billing batches on a daily basis,
responding to billing inquiries from patients, and maintaining
effective communication about billing-related matters with clinic
staff, billing staff, and clinic management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains exemplary customer service skills with all patients,
vendors, co-workers and all other clinic visitors.
- Provides support and is a vital member of SBNCs Patient
Centered Medical Home care teams.
- Checks in patients, registers new patients in Electronic
Practice Management system (EPM) and verifies that patients
program-specific eligibility is correct, up-to-date, and entered
into the system accurately. Collects and accurately inputs data
into the EPM system related to patient demographics, insurance
status, social determinants of health and other data as the need
arises in support of patient care and population health
- Collects proof on income and verifies patient family size and
income and ensures that sliding fee scale information is complete,
correct, and entered accurately into EPM.
- Ensures all appropriate consent forms are completed, signed,
and scanned into the Electronic Health Record system (EHR).
- Asks patients if they are seeing other medical providers and
helps to complete a medical records release form with patient in
order to better coordinate care.
- Places patient in appropriate queue so the medical assistants
begin their tasks.
- Answers all incoming calls by the third ring.
- Reviews next days schedule, consults with management regarding
vacant spots, and prepares new patient registration packets as
- Schedules patients for follow-up appointments based on patient
need, care team standards of practice and availability to ensure
that patients have timely access to care.
- Reviews and completes NextGen alerts on a daily basis for each
- Checks route slips or electronic health record system for
completion and accuracy of charges.
- Maintains balanced day sheets and receipts (cash, electronic
check processing, and credit cards); reviews and submits clinic
batches in a timely manner so that billing can be sent out on a
- Interacts daily with medical and support staff to ensure proper
education and updates are given to assist the billing department in
clean claim submission.
- Reviews CHDP PM160 forms for completion and submission.
- Proactively proofs and corrects charges prior to submission for
- Collects payments from patients and answers billing related
- Processes insurance authorizations as needed.
- May assist in training other employees on billing-related
- Keeps work area clean and orderly.
- Checks email upon arrival every morning and throughout the day
to keep himself/herself informed of day to day functions and
important communications with administration and clinic staff.
- May need to cover at other sites if needed.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Demonstrates understanding of and observe all SBNC policies,
procedures, rules and regulations.
- Demonstrates successful work-related behaviors.
- Attends all required SBNC meetings and trainings.
- Interacts with patients, physicians, staff, vendors, and
visitors in a positive manner that reflects the SBNC mission and
- The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to
this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and requirements. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or it is a logical
assignment to the position. The employee is expected to perform
other duties necessary for the effective operation of the
Qualifications and Education Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent.
Prior experience in a medical or dental care setting or related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education
Use of standard software such as Windows, Word and Excel
Speak fluent Spanish as well as English; provide outstanding
customer service; follow verbal and written instructions;
communicate effectively; use basic office equipment including
computer, copy machine, fax machine, and postage meter; learn
quickly in a fast-paced environment; interact diplomatically with
staff and patients.
Knowledge of medical terminology. Minimum keyboard speed of 45
May be required to lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger
dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than
with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
Communication skills using the spoken word. Ability to see within
normal parameters. Ability to hear within normal range. Ability to
Valid Medical Assistant or Medical Billing and Coding
Certificate from an accredited program preferred.
Keywords: Santa Barbara Neighborhood Clinics, Santa Barbara , Patient Access Navigator, Other , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!