Knowledge Engineer - Political Facts, Amazon Alexa
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: October 12, 2018
At the intersection of AI and natural language understanding, voice-assistant technology is one of the most exciting industries to work in today. Part of its appeal lies in a relatively undefined scope: the nature of a nascent market dictates challenges and opportunity often lacking in more developed fields. We regularly face exciting challenges, like how to give different answers to the same question based on a customer's location, or how to recognize a customer's favorite team.
At Alexa, we work to solve these problems every day. Alexa is Amazon's cloud-based voice service, an intelligent assistant that powers groundbreaking devices such as Echo and FireTV. As well as influencing how customers interact with devices in their home, Alexa is shaping the way knowledge is consumed.
That's where you come in. We're looking for a Knowledge Engineer to join us in sunny Santa Barbara and help us expand Alexa's knowledge base for our Politics team. As a Knowledge Engineer, you will be responsible for identifying opportunities to improve the product, obtaining and structuring data, and using that data to create delightful voice and multimedia experiences for Alexa customers. Your goal is to make Alexa the smartest virtual assistant in the world, specifically making that a reality for anything and everything politics. We're looking for someone that has a background and passion for politics, global government structure, and most importantly, making political data easily accessible to the world.
About the Politics Vertical:
Ever wondered when George Washington became president, or who ran for president in 1964? Have you been itching to know who won the last election in India, or what your representative tweeted today? On the politics team, these are the types of questions that we strive to answer for our customers. Our goal is to become the premier source for all things politics, and we need your help!
In this role, you will:
- Identify new content opportunities within Alexa to fill gaps in our understanding
- Leverage your expertise in political facts to innovate on behalf of Alexa, enriching the ways customers receive information
- Ingest and structure data to expand Alexa's ability to understand and answer questions for the Politics vertical
- Closely monitor specific KPIs and drive improvements in query success
- Partner with software developers, product managers, and business leaders to enhance Alexa's key functions worldwide
- Develop and manage complex data pipelines
- Have the opportunity to drive new customer experiences, all the way from ideation to launch
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Experience working simultaneous projects with cross-functional teams
- Experience performing analytical problem solving
- Strong problem solvers. The ability to think critically is fundamental to the Knowledge Engineer role. We're looking for applicants who demonstrate a quantitative, systematic approach to solving problems.
- Varied backgrounds. In our Santa Barbara community, your coworkers will range from those who graduated with a PhD in neuroscience to those who graduated with a B.A. in Literature. There are people who have started (and sold) their own companies, and people who have transferred in from other Amazon departments. Your degree is less important than the skills you demonstrate: prove to us this is a field you should be in.
- Curiosity. We have found the desire to learn more about the world is an important factor in someone's success at Amazon. When we hire, we look for individuals that strive to understand a problem before they approach it and are genuinely curious about how things work - whether it relates to their role or not.As well as:
- Strong logical and conceptual thought processes
- Bias to action and ambitious personality
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and team skills
Our Santa Barbara office is unique within Amazon; many of our current employees came directly from a small tech company. We balance the drive of a scrappy start-up with the immense resources of a cloud computing giant, and are looking for people with similar ambition. Apply today, or reach out to one of our employees on LinkedIn to learn more about being a KE.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Apply Now at Amazon
Keywords: Amazon, Santa Barbara , Knowledge Engineer - Political Facts, Amazon Alexa, Engineering , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!