Knowledge Engineer - Education, Amazon Alexa
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: September 7, 2018
Knowledge retrieval has always served as one of the key enablers for technological advancements, and has evolved immensely over the past few centuries. Many believe that we are on the verge of another revolution in this space with the advent of voice-forward assistants. We are looking for extremely motivated and capable people to help us shape this nascent industry by making vast improvements to propel the leader in this space - Amazon Alexa - to new heights.
At Alexa, we work to solve complex problems every single day. Alexa is Amazon's cloud-based voice service, an intelligent assistant that powers groundbreaking devices such as Echo and FireTV. As well as influencing how customers interact with devices in their home, Alexa is shaping the way knowledge is consumed.
We're looking for a Knowledge Engineer to join us in sunny Santa Barbara and help us expand Alexa's knowledge base for our Education team. As a Knowledge Engineer, you will be responsible for identifying opportunities to improve Alexa's understanding and answering capabilities, obtaining and structuring data, and using that data to create delightful voice and multimedia experiences for Alexa customers. Your goal is to make Alexa the smartest virtual assistant in the world, spefically focused on educational subject matters (math, science, words, history, health, etc.) We're looking for someone that has a background and passion for these subject matters and gets excited by the prospect of helping Alexa users have more enjyable experiences when asking related queustions.
About the Education Vertical:
Ever wondered what the word quixotic means? How about the chemical symbol for gold? Even more complex reflections like how about how many golf balls fit in a 747? On the education team, these are the types of questions that we strive to answer for our customers. Our goal is to become the premier source for all things education, and we need your help!
In this role, you will:
- Identify new content opportunities within Alexa to fill gaps in our understanding
- Leverage your expertise in educational facts to innovate on behalf of Alexa, enriching the ways customers receive information
- Ingest and structure data to expand Alexa's ability to understand and answer questions for the Politics vertical
- Closely monitor specific KPIs and drive improvements in question success rate
- Partner with software developers, product managers, and business leaders to enhance Alexa's key functions worldwide
- Develop and manage complex data pipelines
- Drive new customer experiences, all the way from ideation to launch
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Experience working simultaneous projects with cross-functional teams
- Experience performing analytical problem solving
- Strong problem solvers. The ability to think critically is fundamental to the Knowledge Engineer role. We're looking for applicants who demonstrate a quantitative, systematic approach to solving problems.
- Varied backgrounds. In our Santa Barbara community, your coworkers will range from those who graduated with a PhD in neuroscience to those who graduated with a B.A. in Literature. There are people who have started (and sold) their own companies, and people who have transferred in from other Amazon departments. Your degree is less important than the skills you demonstrate: prove to us this is a field you should be in.
- Curiosity. We have found the desire to learn more about the world is an important factor in someone's success at Amazon. When we hire, we look for individuals that strive to understand a problem before they approach it and are genuinely curious about how things work - whether it relates to their role or not.As well as:
- Strong logical and conceptual thought processes
- Bias to action and ambitious personality
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and team skills
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Apply Now at Amazon
Keywords: Amazon, Santa Barbara , Knowledge Engineer - Education, Amazon Alexa, Engineering , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!