Product Design / Design Engineer
Company: CMC Rescue Inc
Posted on: April 3, 2021
SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the Director of
Engineering, the Product Designer / Design Engineer will create
innovative new tools that solve problems, enabling professionals in
the rope rescue, rope access, and work at height industries to do
their jobs with greater safety and efficiency. This position will
be hands on, collaborative and team based working closely with
Engineering, Product Strategy, Operations and Marketing teams as
well as the CMC School and industry experts.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Product Design 60%
- Lead new product (rope hardware, harnesses, systems, etc.)
design efforts from initial concept into production.
- Update and improve upon existing product designs.
- Use design and engineering principles, calculations, and
analysis to develop the detailed design of components, assemblies
- Create and maintain complete product data packages including
design drawings, bill of materials, tech packs, and component
specifications for both new and existing products.
- Perform tolerance analysis and develop suitable drawing
tolerances using GD&T as applicable.
- Document design and analysis efforts in technical reports and
design review presentations.
- Perform project management responsibilities that include
developing budgets and schedules, estimating tasks and resources,
holding project meetings, etc. as necessary.
- Coordinate with the product management team to develop products
requirement and specifications.
- Coordinate with operations and manufacturing engineering to
implement Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and ease of assembly
techniques into product development projects.
- Coordinate with supply chain to evaluate and qualify new
suppliers and processes.
- Travel occasionally, with medium customer interaction and high
vendor interaction. Prototyping and Testing 25%
- Use rapid manufacturing and onsite equipment to build proof of
- Develop test protocols and plans to validate designs and ensure
compliance to applicable standards.
- Perform product testing using the onsite test lab and develop
detailed test reports.
- Develop and support field test programs using the CMC School
and other industry experts. Research and Experimentation 15%
- Explore new concepts, ideas, processes and technologies to
enhance our design processes and define our product strategy.
- Document and present learning to a cross-functional team.
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- In depth experience in product design, analysis, and CAD.
- Proactive, with demonstrated ability to move projects forward
without continuous direction.
- Wide knowledge of materials and manufacturing methods.
- Must be a creative thinker with strong problem solving
- Experience using hand and power tools required, machining
knowledge and experience desired.
- Experience with rope, textile and/or sewn goods desired.
- Strong communication skills required, both verbal and
- Must enjoy and be effective working in a team environment.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education and experience)
- BSME or equivalent experience required with minimum 5 years'
experience - prefer 10+ years of related experience.
- DFM, DFSS certification preferred.
- 5 Years CAD design experience, 3D solid modeling experience
preferred, SolidWorks highly desirable. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSWorking
conditions are in a normal office environment. While performing the
duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit
and stand; using the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects,
tools, or controls. Occasionally, the employee must crouch or
kneel. The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 40
pounds. Successful performance requires good eyesight with or
without corrective lens. Requires long periods of time working at a
computer and includes phone work. Some travel is required.
Keywords: CMC Rescue Inc, Santa Barbara , Product Design / Design Engineer, Engineering , Goleta, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!