Sr. Benefits Specialist
Location: Santa Barbara
Posted on: June 14, 2019
Who we are:
Over ten years ago, we launched AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) to
revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and
compete. Today our software solutions serve the property management
and legal industries. At the heart of our products and services is
a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100%
With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, our business
is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and
a team of AppFolians who contribute to our great culture every
To learn more about AppFolio and our company values check out our
profile on The Muse!
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and a 401k Match
- Amazing company culture: focus on a complete lifestyle
- Recharge: 20 Days PTO + 9 Paid Holidays
- Built to last: Grow your career in an innovative, public
Make an impact: your work plays a key role in transforming our
- Love your team members: co-workers are often friends too
Offices stocked with healthy snacks, games, and goodies
A commitment to health/wellness including onsite fitness
- Give back to your team and your community YOU KNOW YOU'RE THE
RIGHT FIT IF:
- You've can effortlessly balance conflicting priorities and move
quickly to address time-sensitive requests. You shift seamlessly
between nailing the day to day basics and driving new programs and
- You view all of the people you interact with as customers and
have a desire to deliver the best "products" and service to them.
You approach your work first and foremost as a service
- You have the ability to translate Benefits concepts into a
story that hits home and resonates with people who aren't experts
in this area. Simplifying messages around these topics is one of
- You've built a strong foundation of knowledge in the Benefits
arena, but are able to translate and apply your approach based on
the situation and need. You never lose sight of the bigger
- You're comfortable working in the spaces above and below your
role, and dive in to get your hands dirty to get a project across
the finish line.
- You're driven to learn by doing. You tackle problems large and
small, and take ownership of them. You identify issues as they
happen, or even before, and proactively seek and lead
- You love data, and can use it to tell stories, glean insights
and propose changes. You have a strong eye for detail, and are
diligent and meticulous in your approach.WHAT YOU'LL DO ALL DAY:The
Sr. Benefits Specialist will make big contributions to the
development and administration of AppFolio's Rewards programs.
Reporting to the Director, Total Rewards, this position will
develop and administer compelling benefits programs.
- Administer all Company-sponsored retirement and health &
welfare plans including life, health, dental, and disability
insurances, retirement plans, and leaves of absence. Ensure records
are accurate, current and compliant.
- Develop benefit communications to increase the understanding
and ease of use of our benefits programs.
- Manage leaves of absence. Be the subject matter expert who
guides our employees through the process to ensure they are
well-informed and their experience is consistent with our
- Develop the company's wellness approach and deliver wellness
- Acts as point of contact for employees, HR team, and plan
participants for benefits questions and guidance. Escalates complex
situations to appropriate partner.
- Works with team to plan and execute Open Enrollment for all
- Build audit process for our benefits spend, including analyzing
data and determining trends.
- Working hand in hand with our HRBP and Talent Acquisition
teams, act as a valued and trusted partner in providing benefits
information and resources, and assist with any benefits issues that
- Act as the primary contact to our Finance and Accounting teams,
including Payroll. Partner to continuously improve our processes,
programs and systems and tackle cross-functional issues as they
arise. Provide input to the budgeting process.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and communication of
other Total Rewards programs. Assist with with the development of
benefits and systems strategies, including roadmaps to get us
- Act as a point of contact for vendors and service providers.
Manage relationships as needed.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of our Request For
Proposals (RFP) to scan the market, inform decisions and ensure all
our needs are met.WE'D LIKE TO SEE:
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in corporate benefits
administration and communication. Tech industry and/or
international experience preferred.
- Experience with annual benefits cycles, providing guidance on
the design, development and administration of programs,
communications, tools / systems to support them and measuring their
- Experience working within a generalist / specialist or center
of excellence (COE) environment, including delivering products and
support to HR Business Partners and Talent Acquisition.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications
skills,. Able to effectively communicate what we are doing and why
we are are doing it to a variety of audiences.
- Advanced understanding of Rewards regulations, market trends,
and program design, as well as legislation that may affect
policies/practices, including ACA, ERISA, COBRA and other
applicable Department of Labor (DOL) and/or tax laws. Experience
with SOX is a plus.
- Project management and organizational skills with a
demonstrated ability to navigate in a fast-paced &
performance-oriented environment, and a proven track record leading
successful benefits initiatives and projects.
- Ability to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and
make recommendations or decisions.
- Working knowledge of the Finance & Accounting functions, and
have worked to develop budget projections/inputs, feed and
maintenance of HR data to their systems (such as benefit deductions
and taxation to Payroll), and building organizational hierarchies
in an HRIS.
- Must be proficient in Human Resource Information Systems.
Experience with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) is a plus. Working
knowledge of Payroll and/or Finance systems desired.
- Advanced Excel user and proficiency in using the G-Suite and MS
suite of products, such as Google Docs and Presentations
- Ability to exercise discretion, judgment, tact and poise in
handling highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and manage a wide
variety of projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree required. Certified Employee Benefits
Specialist (CEBS) designation preferred.
Keywords: AppFolio, Santa Barbara , Sr. Benefits Specialist, Accounting, Auditing , Santa Barbara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!